Thursday 6 February 2014

Eyebrows

I have recently been to a new place to have my eyebrows done. Being  an eyebrow technician makes me the worst client to have in another salons chair, however, I was out of town and did not want to attempt doing it myself possibly pinching my skin and causing scabs a few days before a function. I asked for advise and went to the most recommended lady that threads brows. I sat down and for the first time gave someone else complete control of my brows. No mirror in my hands to guide her, letting go and trusting. I generally have a high tolerance for pain which has got me into more trouble many times than it has done me much good. I could clearly feel something was going wrong when my pain threshold was being pushed. I calmed my mind and continued to let her do her work. When she was done I looked into the mirror in complete shock, not only did I now have two complete different brow shapes,but I now had half of what was already thin brows. I was speechless and did not want to balance it out, as that would mean making them look like pencil lines which to me is a huge no no. I would have to use my knowledge of colouring in brows for the next few weeks or months to camouflage the issues.

I believe that  your eyes are the windows to the soul, when someone falls in love they look into each others eyes, when you are angry you stare someone down with your eyes, when you are happy, your eyes twinkle.It is one of the first things anyone notices about another person.So it is important to know that your eyebrows give your eyes expression and strengthen the frame of your eyes. Done well it can balance out your appearance or done wrong it will do the direct opposite.



After my incident I have decided to help you identify the three basic rules of eyebrows to create your ideal look and the correct shape avoiding the drama I had.You could use a ruler, the back of your brow make up brush or a pencil to follow the lines of your face.

  •  The eyebrow starts on a vertical line from the outside of your nose to the corner of your inside eye as displayed in the diagram number 1.
  • The highest part of the brow which is called the arch points to the outside of the iris as displayed in the diagram number 2  .
  • The brow ends from an imaginary line running from the corner of the nose to the corner of the eye.

I have put the diagram above to help you understand the lines more easily. Your line ABC is your starting point,your line at E is where your arch should be and your line F should be from the point of your nose to the end of your brow marking the end of your brow.

Look at the perfectly clean line running from B to E(the start to the arch) there are no extra hairs causing a base line or an untidy line. If you trying to get it perfect colour in your desired brow shape with eye shadow, clean up shadow or eye pencil smudges used to draw in your shape with an ear bud.Any hair that is outside this shape should be removed by threading, waxing or tweezing.



Make up is about blending and no harsh lines, that is a key when in comes to attempting anything . You never want to see lines, even when you are going for a very dramatic look, you always want softness. You want the make up to enhance your features. Ideally you should use a flat and slightly angled brush to colour and define your eyebrows
Use a matte shadow for uneven growth or an eyebrow pencil for no hair on darker skin tones.
Select the correct colour based on your hair colour(head).
use light strokes gradually building the colour to give a very polished look, if you want to keep it more natural only fill in the areas where there is gaps in the hair growth , matching the colour of your brows.

Finally set the brows with a clear mascara to keep it in perfect shape.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, who did you go to? The lady who I go to for threading is exceptional... It kills me when she goes on holiday :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by the way, I had a similar experience 10 years ago! Only now are my eyebrows reaching their original glory, thanks to aunty Hafiza, who really is an authority on threading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so important that you have found someone who is professional and understands the importance of the perfect shape. I hope my tips help you keep it in shape for when she is on holiday. I feel it is best not to name the lady on the blog as I do not want to damage her business,On the brighter side they are now looking fabulous again.

    ReplyDelete